Tibetan Unicode Test Page
Web browser test
The Unicode text above should resemble this image:
Note that you can copy to the first mantra as text into the clipboard. By pasting the text into a Unicode aware application you can modify the text. The second mantra is simply an image and cannot be modified.
Things that can go wrong are:
- You don't have a Tibetan Unicode font installed - only garbage is displayed: Install a Unicode font, see Tibetan Fonts.
- You see Tibetan letters, but the stacks do not display correctly and seem to be smashed - you need to install support for complex scripts as described in Preparing Computers for Tibetan Editing.
- Make sure that you are using the latest Version of your Browser.
Versions before 1.4.7, 18-July-2017 of the Harfbuzz library that is used on a large number of platforms for complex script rendering, had a bug that causes incorrect display of the Tibetan long vowel u: ཨཱུ་.
|Your browser renders:||ཨཱུ||ཧཱུཾ|
There are multiple ways, this bug manifests:
- For some fonts, the order of the subscribed vowels is mixed up, this seems to happen with fonts Tibetan Machine Uni and Microsoft Himalaya (Windows platforms with applications that use Harfbuzz).
- For most other fonts, the shaper simply does not stack the vowel-signs.
- On some platforms (e.g. macOS) only some applications might be affected, e.g. Chrome and LibreOffice come with their own (and possibly outdated) version of harfbuzz, and might show the bug. Other macOS apps (e.g. Safari browser) do not use harfbuzz, and are not affected by this bug.
If you experience this bug, check for updated versions of your software.
Harfbuzz libraries are used by Firefox, Chrome (incl. v60, v61, all platforms and all OS), LibreOffice 5.3, 5.4 (all OS), Android and Linux. Generally Software released in the timeframe 2016 - Sep-2017 might be affected, and needs to be updated to the most recent version. A fix is now available for almost all software packages (10-2017)
- bug-tracker [Fixed in harfbuzz release version 1.4.7, 2017-07-18.]
- Arch Linux: up-to-date harfbuzz, all apps (e.g. chromium v60, LibreOffice 5.4): OK
- macOS: applications on macOS usually package a version of harfbuzz. Most software packages (e.g. LibreOffice, Chrome) are updated by now. OK
- The fix is integrated in LibreOffice 5.4.2, released 04-Oct-2017. OK
- The harfbuzz fix is included with Chrome and Chromium versions 62.0.3202.6 (Oct-2017). OK
- Android 7.x (2016) and 8.0 (2017) are affected. See: Tibetan support in Android for more information about Tibetan support in Android. A fix has been implemented with Android 8.1 (Dec-2017). OK