Tibetan Dictionaries for Mobile Devices
- 1 Overview
- 2 Android
- 3 iOS apps
- 4 Tibetan dictionaries for iPad
- 5 Historical devices
- 6 Tibetan dictionaries for N900, Meego, Maemo devices
- 7 Older Dictionary Apps for Android (Legacy)
- 8 Rangjung Yeshe Tibetan dictionary for mobile devices
- 9 Download resources
- 10 Internal Links
- 11 External Links
- 12 Credits
Currently the best mobile devices for working Tibetan are:
- Tibetan Dictionaries for Android Devices
- Android devices (starting with Android 6.0, Tibetan script is fully supported)
- iPhone, iPod touch and iPad, since iOS 4.2.1 Tibetan is fully supported,
- Check the page: Tibetan Dictionary for iPhone and iPod touch
Tibetan dictionaries for iPad
- Check the page: Tibetan Dictionary for iPad
Another good mobile device for working with Tibetan is the Nokia N900. It supports a number of Tibetan applications including:
- Free dictionary applications that work with the Rangjung Yeshe dictionary.
- Ability to install and correctly render Tibetan fonts
- Ability to browse web sites in Tibetan script
- Flashcard programs that correctly display Tibetan script
Tibetan dictionaries for N900, Meego, Maemo devices
See below for installation instructions.
Get a dictionary app for the N900 that supports stardict
- There are two free dictionary applications available in the maemo repositories that support startdict format: QStarDict and MStardict.
Easier to use is MStardict:
- Install MStardict on your N900 using the N900 application installer.
- Download the three uncompressed RangjungYeshe dictionary files: RangjungYesheTibetanWylie.dict.dz, RangjungYesheTibetanWylie.idx, RangjungYesheTibetanWylie.ifo
- Connect your N900 via USB. Install the three files within a
mstardictfolder within the N900 internal memory. Simply create this folder in the top-level of the USB-drive of your internal N900 memory if it doesn't exist.
- Enable the RangjungYesheTibetanWylie dictionary (screen shot 1)
Older Dictionary Apps for Android (Legacy)
Dictionary appa for Android that supports stardict
- There is a number of free dictionary applications for Android that support the stardict format.
A free Android dictionary application that works and does not display annoying ads is WordMate.
- Install WordMate using the Android store.
- Download the three completely uncompressed RangjungYeshe dictionary files: RangjungYesheTibetanWylie.dict, RangjungYesheTibetanWylie.idx, RangjungYesheTibetanWylie.ifo
- Connect your Android phone via USB as USB memory stick. Install the three files within a
wordmadefolder that has already been created by the application.
Rangjung Yeshe Tibetan dictionary for mobile devices
Note: The following dictionaries are based on the Rangjung Yeshe Tibetan dictionary created by Erik Pema Kunsang, the Rangjung Yeshe Shedra and the people at DharmaDictionary.net. They are published with the kind permission of Erik Pema Kunsang.
Note: in order to help improving future versions of the dictionary:
- if you cannot find an entry in those dictionaries above, please create an (empty) entry on http://dharmadictionary.net. This way a definition can be added later.
- If you know the definition yourself, of course you can directly add it to http://dharmadictionary.net.
- Download the Tibetan Wylie dictionary as zip: RangjungYesheTibetanWylie.zip (for iPhone, iPod touch)
- Download the Tibetan Wylie dictionary as tar.bz2: RangjungYesheTibetanWylie.tar.bz2 (alternative compression method)
- Download the Tibetan Wylie dictionary as tar.gz: RangjungYesheTibetanWylie.tar.gz (alternative compression method)
Uncompressed dictionary files: (needed for Nokia N900, Voice Dict pro for iPad)
- Please download all three files: RangjungYesheTibetanWylie.dict.dz, RangjungYesheTibetanWylie.idx, RangjungYesheTibetanWylie.ifo
Competely uncompressed dictionary files: (needed for Android WordMate)
- Please download all three files: RangjungYesheTibetanWylie.dict, RangjungYesheTibetanWylie.idx, RangjungYesheTibetanWylie.ifo
- dharmadictionary.net, this wiki contains the latest Tibetan dictionary content.
- Rangjung Yeshe Shedra