From Digital Tibetan
An archive of older news from the front page
- 13-Sep-2018: Amazon's latest firmware updates for Kindle, starting with version 5.9.6, have broken the support for Tibetan. So far there is no fix for the new firmware.
- 17-Jun-2018: BabelStone Tibetan is an extended and updated version of Jomolhari, adding support for new characters of later Unicode standards, support for many additional clusters and shorthand contractions. BabelStone Tibetan uses the SIL Open Font License. More details at: Tibetan Fonts.
- 29-Dec-2017: Free OCR service for Tibetan Books at www.dharmabook.ru/ocr, a service that is continuously improved. See Tibetan OCR for more information on Tibetan OCR.
- 05-Oct-2017: The Harfbuzz bug, affecting rendering of ཧཱུཾ་ is fixed with all major applications with release of LibreOffice 5.4.2. With release of Android 8.1 (Dec 2017), the bug is also fixed on Android.
- 14-Jul-2017: Harfbuzz, the engine responsible for the display of Tibetan script on many platforms, has been updated to version 1.4.7. The problem with long vowel U has been fixed. See: Harfbuzz had problems with Tibetan long vowel U
- 26-Jun-2017: dharmacloud.tsadra.org publishes a freely accessible library of Tibetan ebooks.
- 29-Apr-2017: Google Tesseract 4 alpha supports Tibetan OCR (character recognition) using neural networks.
- 23-Feb-2017: Recent development builds of the free and open desktop publishing software Scribus fully support Tibetan script.
- 21-Feb-2017: Android 7.1.1 offers full Tibetan support.
- Jan-2017: Android Wear 2.0 supports Tibetan script: both wearable platforms, Apple's watchOS and Android Wear now support Tibetan script on your wrist.