GoldenDict - online and offline Tibetan dictionaries combined
[GoldenDict http://goldendict.org/] is available for Windows, Mac OS-X and Linux. It integrated various dictionary formats, including the StarDict format with online access to dictionaries based on mediawiki.
Installation of GoldenDict early access builds
It's currently (Jan 2013) recommended to use the "early access builds" for GoldenDict to get full functionality:
- Early access builds for Windows
- Early access builds for Mac OS-X
- Linux user can use the packet-manager of their distribution to install GoldenDict.
Installation of local dictionary data
Note: The following dictionaries are based on the Rangjung Yeshe Tibetan dictionary created by Erik Pema Kunsang, the Rangjung Yeshe Shedra and the people at DharmaDictionary.net. They are published with the kind permission of Erik Pema Kunsang.
in order to help improving future versions of the dictionary: if you cannot find an entry in those dictionaries above, please create an (empty) entry on http://dharmadictionary.net. This way a definition can be added later. If you know the definition yourself, of course you can directly add it to http://dharmadictionary.net.
- Download the three uncompressed RangjungYeshe dictionary files: RangjungYeshe2003.dict, RangjungYeshe2003Uni.idx, RangjungYeshe2003Uni.ifo
- Copy those three files into a directory "Tibetan Dictionaries"
- Start GoldenDict and select the option "Edit / Dictionaries...". Select the tab "Sources" and "Files". Press the "Add" button and select the directory "Tibetan Dictionaries" that contains you dictionary files. "Rescan now" makes the dictionaries available.
Note: In order to access the dictionary, you'll need to type Tibetan. Check Preparing Computers for Tibetan Editing on how to install Tibetan keyboards and fonts.
Installation of online Tibetan dictionary access
In addition to local dictionary data, GoldenDict can access wikis with Tibetan dictionary information. The RigpaWiki contains a Tibetan dictionary that can be integrated with GoldenDict:
- In GoldenDict, select "Edit / Dictionaries...". Select the tab "Sources" and "Wikipedia". Now add a new entry with name "Rigpa Wiki" and address "http://www.rigpawiki.org". You need to enable the wiki-dictionary by clicking the check-box in front of the RigpaWiki entry.
- Click "Ok"
- Now you can access both offline dictionaries and online dictionaries at the same time.