Tibetan Input Method for Windows
Denjong TibType is a new free Tibetan Unicode typing system based on Wylie that works on all Windows platforms including 32 & 64 bits versions. The website and a more detailed documentation are on elaboration but you can, by now, download and install the product from:
https://github.com/thubtenrigzin/DenjongTibType/ - For AZERTY and QWERTY, Wylie and Sambhota transcription.
Note: use versions > 1.0 for international keyboard support.
TISE is a free Wylie input method that runs on XP, Vista and Windows 7 (32 and 64 bit (since version 2.0)). You can download the software from:
- http://tise.mokhin.org/ (version 2.0, Nov. 2012, supports both 32 and 64 bit)
A short introduction: Typing Tibetan with TISE
|This section contains Tibetan script. Without proper Tibetan rendering support configured, you may see other symbols instead of Tibetan script.|
- TISE can be switched on and off with <shift>-<space>, or by clicking on the Mount-Kailash icon on the right side of Windows task-bar.
- Make sure to familiarize yourself with EWTS (extended Wylie) documents and help files at http://iris.lib.virginia.edu/tibet/collections/langling/ewts/ewts.php
Note: TISE seems to be incompatible with GoldenDict. If you plan to use this dictionary-program, the recommended input method would be Denjong. Alternatively, if you want to use TISE with GoldenDict, you can type the search-phrase in some other program (e.g. notepad) and then copy&paste the search term into GoldenDict.
- Basic letters
- All basic Tibetan and Tibetan Sanskrit represented by EWTS scheme are supported by Tise. Often typing the final a as in ka ཀ is not necessary, k followed by a tsheg <space> is enough.
- Longer vowels (with a subjointed small letter achung) are typed as aa ཨཱ, ii ཨཱི, uu ཨཱུ, ee ཨཱེ, oo ཨཱོ, or A ཨཱ, I ཨཱི, U ཨཱུ, E ཨཱེ, O ཨཱོ.
- Retroflex i ྀ is typed as -i, and retroflex i with achung as -I ཱྀ, e.g. k-i ཀྀ, k-I ཀཱྀ.
- au ཨཽ, ai ཨཻ are implemented.
- Tibetan punctuation
- As per EWTS. Asterisk '*' types non-breaking tsheg (0F0C) ་.
- Typing '_' (underscore) gives 0xa0 (non-breaking space).
- Regular space (0x20) is typed by x key.
- Tibetan Sanskrit letters
- As per EWTS, they are usually typed as capital letter (with Shift key pressed). Implemented are the following Tibetan Sanskrit letters: Ta ཊ, Tha ཋ, Da ཌ, Na ཎ, Sha ཥ (the latter can be type as S) R+ ཪ, +W ྺ, +Y ྻ, +R ྼ, (fixed form ra, wa, ya, e.g. ཪྟ་ རྻ་ མྺ་ ཡྼ་)
- H ཿ, M ཾ, & ྅, ? ྄.
- For the sake of simplicity, EWTS ~M and ~M` are typed as q ྃ and Q ྂ respectively.
- Complex stacks
- This is the major improvement of EWTS compared to previous approaches, and Tise fully takes advantage of this. In Tise stacks are typed using + symbol to stack glyphs vertically. If vertical stack is not what is desired, it is possible to quit vertical stacking mode by typing '.' (or just type a vowel or a tsheg if the syllable is complete).
- gya གྱ is stacked, but g.ya གཡ isn't
- to type siddhi use: si.ddhi or sid+d+hi. In many cases, as with all standard wylie sequences like brdza, for example, typing extra + sign is not required, Tise tries to be user friendly by minimizing the number of key hits needed for typing.
- More examples: hUq ཧཱུྃ་, hUQ ཧཱུྂ, d+hIH དྷཱིཿ, oM AHhUQ ཨོཾ་ཨཱཿཧཱུྂ.
Monlam BodYig IME
Monlam BodYig is a free set of Tibetan fonts and an IME that supplies four different keyboard layouts. The IME will add itself to the standard Windows language bar.
One of the keyboard layouts uses the TCRC BodYig layout, which is more familiar to most Tibetans. You can install the Monlam IME with or without the Monlam fonts, and once installed, you can type any Unicode Tibetan font.
Download the Monlam install package at http://lobsangmonlam.org/Product.html or from http://tibetangeeks.com/downloads/bodyig/Monlam_BodYig-v.3/
Tavulte Soft sells a keyboard product Keyman Light that supports EWTS (Extended Wylie) on Windows. Chose the "Tibetan THDL" keyboard.
- Preparing a Computer running Windows XP for Tibetan Editing
- Preparing a Computer running Windows Vista or Windows 7 for Tibetan Editing
- Tibetan Input Method (general, for all operating systems)
- How to edit Tibetan texts
- Installing Monlam BodYig
- Preparing Computers for Tibetan Editing
- EWTS Extended Wylie system (PDF file) http://www.thlib.org/reference/transliteration/teachingewts.pdf
- Input Methods, at Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Input_method
- Monlam BodYig, fonts with input program http://lobsangmonlam.org/Product.html
- Denjong TibType, a 32bit and 64bit Wylie input method for Windows 
- TISE homepage [/ http://tise.dzogchen.ru/]
- TISE development, at GoogleGroups http://groups.google.com/group/tise-devel/web/
- TISE readme http://groups.google.com/group/tise-devel/web/readme?hl=en
- Unicode, at Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unicode
- Wylie transliteration, at Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wylie_transliteration
- From TISE readme.